Wednesday, December 2, 2015

November 2015 Favorites!





     Hello all!  I hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving weekend (or just a good weekend if you don't celebrate that particular holiday).  Us here at the house of chaos had a really good holiday weekend. We hosted our first holiday in our new house, and despite the two prior weeks that proved Murphy's law is indeed a fact, the dinner went off without any problems.  Also the Hawkeyes beat Nebraska and that felt pretty good.

     As per usual I have complied a list of some of my favorite things from this past month.  Some old, some new, all are items I have found myself returning to multiple times in November and think are worth checking out.... you know the drill.


Movies/TV: Sons of Anarchy

Sons of Anarchy available on Netflix 


     Yes, yes I know this show is over and done with.  But remember when I said I have kids that don't let us watch TV or movies?  Yeah I wasn't lying.  Also the series is now on Netflix and the hubs just bought a Amazon Fire Stick allowing us to watch Netflix on our bedroom TV.  So each night we go through an episode or two of the show.  Probably not the best of ideas when considering the odd violent dreams I have been having.... oh well.  

     If you are in the dark regarding Sons of Anarchy the drama series follows the life of Jax Teller, the vice president of a California motorcycle gang who starts questioning the gangs criminal activity and his future when his son is born.  The show is definitely not for kids (hence why we watch it so late), but it is very well written, includes a variety of characters (some which entertain, others will piss you off) and grabs your attention almost immediately. 


Music: November Mix Tape



     With my computer being down for a portion of the month, I had to stray from my usual selection of music and listen to the radio (gasp! the humanity!)  In doing so I have found some "new" songs that have caught my attention.  I even wrote them down so that I may download them when we get iTunes back up and running. 
  1. "Through It All" - From Ashes to New
  2. "The Otherside" - Red Sun Rising - this song reminds me so much of 90s grunge.  I LOVE IT. The video though, sigh.  It's like the orcs from Lord of the Rings got together with Samara from The Ring they had a baby and he joined a band. 
  3. "Death March" - Motionless in White - someone tell me I am not the only one who thinks Christ Motionless goes all "This is Halloween" from Nightmare Before Christmas  in the bridge of this song? 
  4. "Kill Pop" - Slipknot  
  5. "The Last Garrison" - Enter Shikari
  6. "Take the Bullets Away" - We As Human featuring Lacey Sturm - Lacey kills it on this track, and she has a new solo album coming out which leads to the next song...
  7. "Impossible" - Lacey Sturm - I love that this girl can rock and keep a positive message.
  8. "The Fox" - Ylvis - ok this is a joke. I don't really like this song.  BUT at the insistence of my 2 year old son, I HAVE heard this song at least twice a day, every day for a month.  When I don't play it, he sings it.  
  9. "Wash It All Away" - Five Finger Death Punch - this is one of the few concerts I have been to that looked as good as the video.  Yeah the concert was that good. 
     Also, I have started compiling the songs from my favorites (and other songs I like) together in a playlist called "Music I Love" on my youTube channel here.  Eventually I will have my own videos on my channel too, but for now its an easy way to find the music I like and other bloggers I follow. 


Makeup: 

Smashbox Bronze Lights - Warm Matte

Smashbox Bronze Lights in Warm Matte, $34.00 available at Sephora, Ulta and other Smashbox retailers

     For those of you fair skinned like me, you know how difficult it can be to find a bronzer that doesn't look  ridiculously orange on you.  So when my go-to product (bareMinerals Ready Bronzer in The Skinny Dip) ran out, I debated finding a new one or simply repurchasing the bareMinerals.  
      
     I discovered this guy while browsing around Sephora during their VIB beauty sale, I swatched it several times before deciding to pick it up and I am glad I did.  It is a very subtle matte bronzer.  It is not going to give you that just got back from a beach vacation look.  I anticipate only being able to use this in the winter time as I don't think it will show up in the summer when I am "tan", but in the winter it will keep me from looking completely washed out which is what I am looking for. 


the Balm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Long Lasting Liquid Lipstick - Committed

the Balm Meet Matt(e) Hughes Liquid Lipstick in Comitted, $17.00 available at Kohls and thebalm.com

     If you saw my October Ipsy vs. Boxycharm post, this lipstick might look familiar.  That's because I received a sample of it in my Ipsy bag.  I mentioned that I was most excited to try the lipstick and it has become one of my favorite lipsticks of all time.  So much so that I went out and bought a full size of it. 

     The color is a standard pinky nude color.  It's a nice color but not something so unique that you wouldn't find it anywhere else.  The formula however, is what makes this lipstick stand out.  It's a very thin formula, but it is very pigmented.  As such it dries down quickly but doesn't feel tight or cakey like some other thicker liquid lipsticks do.  I wore this on Thanksgiving and it stayed put through out dinner.  I don't precisely remember when I felt the need to reapply but I know it wasn't for several hours and well after dinner. 


Fragrance: Elizabeth and James Nirvana - White & Black

Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White Roller ball fragrances, $25.00 each at Sephora 

     I do not buy a whole lot of perfume.  When I do it's usually just in the roller ball sizes because I don't go through it often enough to justify buying a full size.  I am also extremely bad at describing scents and identifying notes and whether something is a "warm" or a fresh scent.  So I will post the descriptions provided by the brand:

"Nirvana Black is an addictive blend of alluring violet, sensual sandalwood, and rich vanilla that strike the perfect balance between masculine and feminine."

"Nirvana White is a captivating blend of delicate peony, chic muguet, and tender musk for a feminine scent with dark sophistication."

    I bought both the White and the Black because individually I just found them ok. However I love the scent of the two combined.  It's very complex and unlike anything I have smelled.  The scent lasts a very long time so not a lot is required, and it does not change on me after wearing it for an extended period of time.  Because it is a heavier/stronger scent I don't think I will wear this in the summer, but for the winter it is very nice. 


Video Game:  Minecraft

   
Minecraft video game for computer, $26.95 available for download at minecraft.net, console versions available
     I will fully admit that I love myself a good video game.  I used to be a strict console gamer, but when introduced to World of Warcraft (yes I play that game) I became more enthralled with computer gaming.  

     Minecraft isn't all that new to me.  I have played a little bit off and on whenever I got bored and the mood stuck.  Recently I have become addicted to it.  I threw some mods in it to change it up and make it a bit more challenging.  

     I think one of the reasons I like it so much is that it is a game I have no problems playing in front of or with my children.  There is no bad language or excessive violence.  There are monsters that look like they are straight out of a Scooby Doo episode, and you do fight them but they turn into a puff of smoke when they die.  My 5 year old loves playing the game with me, and usually does so by telling me where to go or what to build.  It's also a game that you can very easily pause or turn off and walk away from which is essential when you have kids. 


     That is all I have for this month.  Thank you so very much for stopping by!  If you have any recommendations or questions as always feel free to post them in the comment section below or send me an email!  I will see you next week!   
 
     
      

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More