Monday, October 26, 2015

October Favorites!







    Hello everyone!  Is anyone wondering where in the hell October went? I feel like I JUST put up my Halloween decorations, I haven't even begun to work on my costume and when I looked at my calendar I realized this week will be the last post for October. That means it's time for October favorites and how does one pick favorites for a month she's not even sure occurred?  Never fear, there has been some picks that have stood out this past month.  And here they are:


Books: Doctor Sleep by Steven King

Doctor Sleep by Steven King available at Amazon or any book seller

     Sequel to The Shinning, my favorite Steven King book, and possibly one of my top 10 favorite novels of all time.  Doctor Sleep picks up with Danny Torrance, now a middle-aged man following in his father's footsteps of alcoholism.  Still haunted by the events in his past, he finds work at a local hospice helping the terminally ill by easing their fears as they pass on.  On his way to recovery, he meets and befriends a young girl named Abra who's powers dwarf his own.  When he discovers that Abra is being hunted by a group that call themselves the True Knot, Dan must face his demons to save her. 

    True to any Steven King novel, the character development in Doctor Sleep are detail rich and lengthy.  King's ability to so precisely paint a characters portrait in words is both his greatest achievement and his biggest downfall.  Often times I find myself really struggling with some of his work. Especially when the development of the characters don't seem to pertain to the overall plot of the novel.  That was not the case here.  

     Perhaps it's because Dan Torrance is already a character most readers are already somewhat invested in having already read (or watched) The Shinning.  More likely it's because here King does such a great masterful job in intertwining the development of the characters with the overall plot.  We understand the direct affect Dan's struggles with alcoholism has on the outcome of this girl's survival. Instead of being bored or annoyed with one of the many inner monologues they are welcomed, encouraged even as we root for Danny to overcome what has plagued him for so many years. 

    Finally what also makes this book stand out is it's ability to stand on it's own.  Yes, while it is a sequel, it is not a simple continuation of the story.  Those who have not read The Shinning, might miss out of some of the more nuanced references in Doctor Sleep, but they can still follow and enjoy the book.  

 

Movies/TV: The Walking Dead

The Walking Dead, Sundays at 8pm Central on AMC

     October saw the return of quite possibly my most favorite TV show of all time.  I struggled with making this one of my picks because it is so incredibly obvious and popular. There is really no way that someone could be reading this blog and think "my God.. what is this Walking Dead show she speaks of?  I must find out for myself!"

    No. I'm not introducing anyone to this show. We all know what it is, and what it's about.  If you like it, you already watch it.  If you don't, you have probably seen it and know it's not your particular brand of zombie survival goodness. 

     That being said  Oh. My. God.  Has there ever been a show that I both love and hate so much at the same time?  I can not think of one, not even a movie or book series.  Each week there is a high probability that I will be cursing at my television and solemnly swear that I will never watch this "stupid show" again.  Yet each following week there I am, frantically putting my children to bed so that I don't miss the beginning minutes of the new episode.  It's visual crack and I am addicted.  So you see, there is really no way that I couldn't make this my pick this month. 



Music: Monthly Mixed Tape Halloween Edition


     Mmmm Halloween.  Yes. While most think of 'holiday' music is limited to that of the Christmas variety, there are some audial gems that need to be celebrated come Halloween time.  Here is my must play list for the spooky season:

  1. Thriller - Michael Jackson no lie, this video and song scared the CRAP out of me as a kid
  2. I Put a Spell on You - Screamin' Jay Hawkins
  3. Season of the Witch - Donovan
  4. This is Halloween - The Nightmare Before Christmas the Burton/Elfman team had a love child with Dr. Seuss and the result was magical
  5. Werewolves of London -Warren Zevon 
  6. The Devil In I - Slipknot
  7. Cry Little Sister - Seasons After Yes, this is a cover of that song from The Lost Boys and yes, the video is tragically corny, but the song is good.
  8. Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show
  9. Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell
  10. Dragula - Rob Zombie  


Makeup: Makeup Geek's Matte Eyeshadow

Makeup Geek Matte Shadow Collection, $6.00 each at MakeupGeek.com

    While one is overwhelmed in quality choices of shimmer and glitter shadows, if aging has shown me anything it's that a quality matte finish shadow that comes in a range of colors is a rare find.  Even high end brands can fall short when it comes to matte eye shadows, with formulas that are either chalky or hard to blend. 

   Imagine my surprise when I tested a selection from the  new line of matte shadows from Makeup Geek and found them to be not only well pigmented, but easy to work with and apply.  All for the very reasonable price of $6.00 per pot. Better yet, they come in a wide range of colors.

  Not that I should be surprised.  I am rarely disappointed with any of the shadows I have picked up from MakeupGeek.com.  Marlena, the brainchild of the Makeup Geek site and brand, has made it her goal to educate women on cosmetics. She regularly posts easy to follow makeup tutorials and product reviews (both high end and drugstore) on her YouTube channel.  The products she has helped develop are a good quality without being cost prohibitive and her site offers color swatches on both light and dark skinned models.  I'd highly recommend any of the Makeup Geek shadows to anyone who wants to expand out past what the drugstore has to offer, but doesn't want to make the financial commitment to high end brands. 


Home Decor: Pumpkin Pecan Waffles Candle from Bath & Body Works

   
3-Wick Candle in Pumpkin Pecan Waffles, $22.50 at BathandBodyworks.com


     I love fall scents. The warm notes that fill your house with woodsy outdoor scents or freshly baked goodies.  Mmmmm sometimes it makes me hungry...  

     Anyway,  Pumpkin Pecan Waffles is probably my favorite selection of the bunch as it has notes other than just the pumpkin spice.  The 3-wick  candles, available seasonally at Bath & Body Works (bathandbodyworks.com) can be pricey ($22.50) when not purchased during a sale. Thankfully there is usually a sale either ongoing or quickly coming up where they can be purchased at 2 for $24.00.

     Another more cost effective option is purchasing this scent in the wallflowers fragrance plug ($6.50 normally, 6 for $24 on sale).  Which is usually the route I go as I don't trust my kids or my cat around open flames.


     
     That is all I have for this month.  Thank you so much for stopping by!  As always, feel free to share your thoughts or your own pick for October in the comment section below.  Have something you think I should try out? Let me know - I might just write a post on it.  

See you next week! 

 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More